Thursday, March 13, 2014

Why Your Dog Groomer Needs To Know Your Personal Business.

Groomer's and Their Questions.
Groomers ask a lot of questions, usually about your dog. Questions may be, how do you want your dog groomed? Has he had any surgeries, since we last saw him? Is he good with other dogs? These are some examples. After the other day I will be adding a very important question. You might find it to be personal, but the answer could surprise you.
Great Questions.
That question would be… Has anything happened with your life that we should know about? This could mean, a break up with your significant other? Was there an emergency at your home? Anything like this. You might find it to be plain nosey. You might be thinking that this is really none of my business. Why will I be asking these questions? The simple answer is, because these circumstances could affect your dog. If you dog is going through something, it could affect his time here, at the Dog Wash.
The Story and Why We Need To Ask More Questions.
Tuesday morning, 3 of my favorite clients came in. Two Elkhounds and a Border Collie. I give myself a few hours to get these dogs done because of their thick coats. Everything was going fine. These dogs have been coming to my shop for years. They have never had an issue with other dogs.  My 11 am dog happened to be a Mastiff, who was coming for his monthly grooming. He is still a puppy at 155lbs. We put him in the back room away from the older dogs. As soon as this Mastiff got to the front door, my Elk Hounds and Border were barking in a not so pleasant tone. This is not normal for them. I thought maybe the giant Mastiff was too much for them. Like I said he went to a separate area. There is only a door splitting these 4 dogs up. The three dogs were at the door going crazy, which got the Mastiff going too. I finished brushing the 3 dogs out and called their owner. I explained what was going on with his dogs. Not only had they had a problem with the Mastiff. But they went after our groomers, Wired Hair Terrier. After explaining the situation and asking him to come and get his dogs. He told me that a Coyote or Wolf had gotten into his yard and killed a goat. This completely explains the pack mentality that we are seeing now. I am not sure if this is the way it will be from now on. Had I asked the appropriate questions, we could have helped them to stay calm when other dogs were around. It would have alleviated stress all the way around.
Why You Should Share More With Your Groomer.
What I want you to take from this story is that little things to us could be big things to our dog. We don’t know what affects them or how. If anything like this happens with your dog, please let your groomer know. Here at the Dog Wash we like to make sure that all our clients are happy all of the time they are here with us. Not only can it affect how they react to other dogs, it could affect their bath, their grooming. Everything while they are away from their owners, especially if something big happened at home.
Please let your groomer know if anything has happened since your last visit. It will only help the groomer and your dog deal with any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment