Monday, February 17, 2014

The Love Between A Human And Their Best Friend.

It is never easy to end a family member's life. Even if that member is a dog. How do you decide when it is time?

We had a Cocker Spaniel who ended up with liver disease. Of course the vet wanted us to do all these tests. But, we didn't see the need since we knew Chewey would be going to the rainbow bridge soon. Chewey was our first dog together. Of course we tried to make him comfortable. I think we did it more for us than Chewey. My Dad always told me he could tell when a dog was getting ready to pass, by the amount of flies you would see. One day I came home early from work and let Chewey out. When I came to let him in he was covered in flies. It was at that moment I knew it was time. I called Don and he rushed home and we took him to the vet. He was put to sleep that day. I always wonder if we should have done it sooner. Was I being selfish for waiting that long?

We have a client who is facing this same decision. It is just so hard. What do you base your decisions on?

For me it is:
Quality of Life
Are they in any pain
Any suffering

I guess the best thing I can say is letting go is extremely hard. But, the love your pet gave will be with you forever. 

I would love to hear your thoughts or stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment